Interview: Fashion and Lifestyle Blogger Ceci Salas

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Ceci is a fashion and lifestyle blogger from Orem, Utah. When she's not sewing her newest creation, you can find her painting, or taking pictures of the world around her. Ceci aspires to be a fashion designer and journalist. I met Ceci at Teen Vogue's Fashion University last March. She was kind enough to take time out of her day to answer some questions about her blog for me!


Caitlin Reddington: Why did you decide to create a blog?

Ceci Salas: I decided to create a blog because I wanted a place where I could share all of my creative projects and outfit posts. I wanted to share different ideas that were interesting to me, and to other people too. I also wanted to have a way to meet people from different places who share the same passion as I do.

CR: How would you describe your style?

CS: This is a really hard question because it's difficult to describe my wardrobe in a few key words. In fall, I would say my style is very practical and laid back. I wear a lot of oversized sweaters, short skirts and sweater tights. I end up wearing plaid and corduroy almost everyday! I don't like wearing jeans very much, I only own a few pairs. In the spring and summer my style is very whimsical and clean. I wear a lot of white. I own too many white dresses, but I can never have enough! I wear dresses and skirts almost everyday, and I love wearing hats and statement necklaces!

CR: Who do you look up to for fashion inspiration and why?

CS: I get most of my inspiration from Tumblr. I follow a lot of aesthetic blogs; I tend to really like they're style! I get a lot of inspiration from my favorite artists, such as, Taylor Swift and St. Vincent.

CR: What are your top three favorite pieces in your closet?

CS:1. My short, forest green skirt from Zara. I love this because I feel very feminine in it.
2. My gray T-shirt from Madewell. This shirt fits perfectly, and I can wear it a lot because it goes with everything.
3. A white lace dress I have from Free People. I'm in love with white dresses. In the spring and summer, they're a staple piece for me. I love the half circle skirt and little clasps on the back of it. The clasps are such delicate details, it is much prettier than a zipper.

CR: Who is your favorite designer?

CS: Elie Saab! I adore how feminine and classic his designs are.

CR: What sparked your interest in fashion?

CS: I have always been interested in art; both making and the history behind it. I never saw myself going after a creative career because it's not what my parents had in mind for me. I started an Etsy store when I was sixteen as a way to make a little extra money. I sold kids clothing and headbands. I really loved being able to sew garments for people, and getting to see pictures of them wearing it. Throughout high school, I was always sewing, I even made my own prom dress! I entered sewing competitions and it was very exciting for me, but I still didn't think I would go to school for fashion. After my first semester if high school, I realized I was only happy when I was sewing or painting, I knew I had to go after a creative career. I found out about Teen Vogue's Fashion University when I started looking into fashion schools. TVFU is a weekend full of seminars with some of the top people in the fashion industry. After that weekend, I knew I needed to pursue fashion design!

CR: Do you have any tips for people who want to start their own blog?

CS: 1. Make sure you have enough time. I have found out it takes up an entire afternoon or evening, but you don't have to work on it everyday.
2. Don't copy the style of another blog. It's hard to come up with unique content, but you have to be yourself because that is what people want.
3. Take pictures of everything. Trust me, you will need them.
4. Find a pretty template for your blog. Make sure it looks professional, especially if you're putting a resumé on it.
5. Comment on other blogs and start social media accounts that are specifically for your blog. This will help you get more readers.


To stay updated on what Ceci is creating next, be sure to follow her lovely blog, Simply Ceci!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)