How the Teen Vogue Hand Book Inspired Me

Saturday, July 25, 2015

During the long 6 hour car ride back from Boston today, I was flipping through my Teen Vogue Hand Book, reading some of the sections I haven't had a chance to read yet. The book is a collection of interviews, stories and advice from some of the best designers, photographers, stylists and models in the fashion and beauty industry, and most importantly, advice from the editors of Teen Vogue!

Working for a fashion magazine has been a dream job of mine for years and I found this book extremely inspiring! It's very interesting to read about how people like Amy Astley, Elaine Welteroth and Marina Larroude got to where they are today. I loved reading about the assistants and the girls who work in the fashion closet. It's so neat to read about their journey of how they got to where they are now since that's where I would have to start if I work at a fashion magazine.

One thing that stuck out to me though was Elaine Welteroth's story. She talked about how she sent hand written letters, emails and made a countless number of phone calls to her favorite editor, Harriette Cole, to secure a meeting with her, which led to and internship and an assistant position. To me, this shows how persistent and passionate you have to be to make it in the industry. Elaine's story really inspired me and showed me that you need to be passionate and have a lot of drive to go out and prove that this is something you really want. You can't just sit back and expect all of the opportunities to come to you.

Elaine's beauty checklist is another thing that stuck out while I was reading her section. The checklist is:

" 1. Never underestimate the importance of sleeping week, eating well, and exercising often. No     amount of makeup can substitute for not taking proper care of yourself. And you hair, skin and nails will tell if you don't!

   2. SPF is an absolute must every single day, year round-whether the sun is out or not. Look for a moisturizer with a built in broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen. One formulated with zinc oxide are best for sensitive skin.

   3. Don't compare yourself to other people. Whether it's freckles, curly hair or curves, find what makes you stand out and accentuate it. Confidence will turn heads quicker than any lipstick."
                                                                                                            -Elaine Welteroth (TV Handbook)

These tips may sound cliche, but I think they're very important, especially the 3rd one! Because of everything we're bombarded with on Twitter and Instagram, it's hard not to compare ourselves to other people, I'm guilty of doing this too. However, I believe it's crucial to find something you love about your body. It could be anything from your eyes, legs or smile. Learn how to show it off in the right way and your confidence will sky rocket! Once you stop comparing yourself to others you
will be on your way to a happier and healthier lifestyle!

If you have read the book, was there something that stuck out to you? Let me know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)