Wednesday, March 9, 2016


A day that celebrates strong, empowering women? Sounds great to me! If you didn't already know, today is International Women's Day. Over the last year, women have been dominating the media like crazy. I thought I would share some of the women who have influenced me.

1. My Mom



When I was a little kid, I felt like my mom was wonder women (not that she still isn't today), she did so much for me and still does. Whether it was her taking me to yet another Jonas Brothers concert, going on a weekend trip to NYC, or just making sure I'm not broke in college. I'm so lucky for everything she has given me.

I must say, growing up and being away at college has made me A LOT more appreciative of everything she has done. I could not be more grateful. My mom is absolutely amazing

2. Elise


My sister is so inspiring. When it comes to hardworking, she's the definition of it. Seriously. She has shown me that no matter how difficult something can be, if you put your mind to it and don't give up, you can accomplish anything. Elise also strives to live a healthy lifestyle and this has definitely rubbed off on me. She's taught me how important it is to eat those fruits and veggies. No matter how much you don't want to, it's always best to fit in that workout!

Even though I don't get to see her as often as I'd like, I know she's always up for a good FaceTime convo. Plus, there's nothing like opening up a funny snap of your sister to brighten your day.

3. My Girls


I think it's so important to have a strong group of girls you can turn to. Making new friends in college was scary enough, but I would have never guessed I'd make this many amazing friends. Without these girls, my college experience wouldn't be as fantastic as it has been so far. They've been there for me whenever I need them, put up with my random stories, and are always up for an adventure; what more could I ask for?

4. Taylor Swift


The creator of the squad. Changing the music industry. Breaking world records. Those are just some of the ways Swift has empowered women around the world. This past year more so than other years, Swift has made a name for herself when it comes to defending women. I've been a fan of Swift's since I was 12 years old. Over the last eight years, she has taught me that it's ok to be yourself. Don't pay attention to what other people think of you. The only thing that matter is if you're happy and enjoying life.

5. Selena Gomez


Selena Gomez started as a darling Disney starlet, and has blossomed into a young woman who has been spreading positive messages to girls everywhere. You know when you hear a song and it's exactly how you're feeling, that's how I felt when I listened to Gomez's newest album Revival. One of the reasons she sticks out to me so much from other celebrities is how relatable she is. Gomez has truly embraced herself for who she is, and doesn't let negativity effect her. Her song Kill Em With Kindness is sort of becoming a motto for me. It's a good reminder to always be the better person even in nasty situations. Who want to be remembered as a scrooge anyway?

6. Demi Lovato


Demi Lovato has struggled with eating disorders, self harm, and bipolar issues. It's safe to say she's experienced some dark days. She received the treatment she needed and turned her issues into something positive, I find that extremely empowering. Lovato has been very open about her struggles with hopes of helping girls all around the world. She has even started a scholarship program, The Lovato Scholarship to help fund mental health treatment for those who can't afford it.

 Lovato is all about the green shakes and early morning workouts. Her recovery, willingness to make healthy decisions everyday, and acceptance of all body types inspires me to live a healthy lifestyle.

To all the lovely ladies out there, I hope you enjoyed International Women's Day! Take a moment to appreciate those around you. If you know the women who have inspired you in person, make sure to thank them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)